Jharsuguda: We tend to ignore forwarded messages on mobile messaging platforms issuing sermons to people to refrain from doing certain things. One of them is to avoid speaking on a mobile phone while it is put on charging.
A teenage girl met with a terrible accident this afternoon at Kheriakani village under Laikera police limits in Odisha’s Jharsuguda district. The 19-year-old identified as Uma Oram was speaking to someone over phone with the device put on charging when it exploded.The intensity of the blast was so high that the girl suffered burn injuries on chest, left hand and right leg killing her on the spot.
“She was speaking to a relative over phone while it was put on charging. Suddenly it exploded in her hand. We called up a 108 ambulance and rushed her to hospital,” Durga Oram, brother of the deceased said.
While Uma was motionless while she was rushed to the District Headquarters Hospital, the attending doctors declared her dead on arrival.
“As per the members of deceased’s family, they heard a loud sound from a nearby transformer. There could be some electrical malfunction in the transformer leading to excess current flow which caused the blast. The girl died on the spot due to shock,” Kailash Acharya, Jharsuguda SDPO said.
Reliable sources said the girl was using a Nokia 5233 phone manufactured in China.